Friday, December 7, 2012

USCIS

Today we had an appointment at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office to get our fingerprints taken. This is just another step toward the completion of our "Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative" and once approved will grant us advance immigration approval. Pretty cool!

I couldn't take any pictures while we were there because we weren't allowed to have our cell phones on, but the process was pretty quick and efficient. Thankfully it was quick because I had an interesting lady taking my fingerprints. She managed to ask me "is blonde really your hair color?," "were you a blonde when you were little?," and "are you sure??" Hello, I'm standing right in front of you with my blonde mane! After an in-depth discussion about my hair, she moved on to the fact that she couldn't believe someone so young would be adopting. She told me most people wait until their late 30s, 40s, 50s, and yes, 60s before adopting because "then they know they can't have their own kids." Hmm...as if that's why we're adopting!  I thought she might finally be coming around when said  "an adopted child is just like any other child," but then she decided to finish the sentence with "because you can't take 'em back once you get 'em!" Gee, thanks for that revelation, lady!

A friend of mine who is currently in the process of adopting a child from China recently wrote a blog post about the petition I mentioned earlier, and it's so beautiful I thought I'd share. It's much more eloquently written and doesn't involve any hair color or age discrimination :) Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment