Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 1

Our adventure has begun!

We left our apartment around noon in search of a spot to eat lunch. We hadn't eaten breakfast yet and we were pretty hungry. My words to Mark were "I want to go to a great place for our first lunch. Somewhere that really shows the culture." The only problem was that we had no idea where to go. If you put restaurant in Google Maps all of the results pop up in Russian and there's no Yelp. We decided that we'd just find a place by walking around. We walked to the SDA to check it out and went up and down the surrounding streets. Most of the restaurants we saw had either menus completely in Russian or they were too expensive. We found a Hyatt hotel and decided to go in and ask the concierge for a recommendation. My words were "we don't want anything fancy" (aka cheap, please). He told us about an Italian restaurant nearby so we decided to try it. There wasn't a menu posted outside and you had to go upstairs to see inside the restaurant, but we decided to try it because he recommended it. When we walked in, they took our coats and gave us a claim tag. We sat down, opened the menu, and realized we couldn't afford it. This wasn't even a moment of trying to be frugal, it was that we literally didn't have enough grivna to cover even one of our meals. Our coats had been checked and we had no way to pay for our meal. Completely embarrassed and making a bad name for Americans, we tried to explain that we needed to leave and would need our coats back. We practically crawled out of there with shame. We continued to walk around in search of a restaurant. At this point we'd been walking around for over an hour and were really hungry. It was at that moment of desperation that we looked up and saw a McDonalds. My head was screaming NOOO don't do it...you don't travel 6,000 miles and eat at a McDonalds. But guess what? My stomach won and chicken nuggets were consumed. Yep, our "great, cultural lunch" was eaten at McDonalds. It felt so wrong, yet tasted so right.

After lunch we walked around some more. This is St. Michael's Church, our next door neighbor!  Isn't it beautiful?
On our walk we exchanged our money and went to pick up a few items. One of the items on the list was a sewing kit. When I unpacked my professional outfit, I discovered my ruffle flower on my jacket had unraveled and looked like a mess. Seeing as though the jacket was fine when I packed it, I don't think it was a coincidence that it was right under a notice saying that TSA had searched the inside of the bag. We went into a small grocery store in search of a sewing kit so I could mend the jacket. We couldn't find one so in Russian Mark asked the lady for a needle and thread. She said no and let out a laugh. Mark wondered if he accidentally asked for a drug needle or something. ha! Luckily we were able to find a hotel close to our apartment which gave us a sewing kit for free.

The weather has been relatively warm. In fact we've been hot walking around. We joked that we should wear a tank top under our coat, but that wouldn't really work when we went inside and took our coats off. The women are beautiful here and wear gorgeous fur coats. Even though we've only been here a day Kiev looks like a fun city that we are hoping to explore more tomorrow after our appointment.

For Dinner we met up with another adoptive family. We had a lot of fun eating and talking about our journeys. Our appointments are at the same time tomorrow so we're hoping we both come out of there with a darling picture of our kid(s)! Please keep us in your prayers. Our appointment is at 10am Ukrainian time (California time is Tuesday at midnight). Pray specifically for clarity, calmness of spirit, and wisdom. We appreciate all your love and support!

14 comments:

  1. Of course we'll be thinking of you! So very excited for this next BIG step in your journey and can't wait to find out where you are headed (because, of course, we'd love to have you in our region!).
    Prepare to be blog and fb stalked after noon UA time tomorrow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, now. The McDonald's isn't EXACTLY the same as in the US. Try their new dipping sauces or their Ukrainian "french fries" which are more like potato wedges. Yum! So glad you found something to eat. If I can make a recommendation: find a corner shop and buy some snacky type foods. Restaurants aren't on every corner like in the US and (most likely) soon you will be going to another region. Get some food that you can take with you. Super excited to read your journey and reminisce upon ours, which was over 4 years ago. :*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions and lessening my guilt over McDonalds :)

      Delete
  3. Found your blog via Christine Reed. I'm excited to follow your journey! Next time you need a restaurant in Kiev and want Ukrainian food on the cheap, look for Puzhata Hata! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your recommendation! We'll check out Puzhata Hata!

      Delete
  4. McDonalds tastes better in Ukraine I think. The beef is better and so is the Coke. Hope your appointment goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for lessening my guilt over McDonalds! :) I hope our apt goes well too! We'll keep you updated. Thanks for the late night entertainment. I'll be looking for that salt this afternoon!

      Delete
  5. I hope your guys' appointment goes well!!! I'll be praying for you guys. Ha ha Rachel was chuckling about the restaurant. She says that that was her laugh for the day.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annalyn! Great to hear from you. You tell Rachel we need her to come over and be our guide. We'll pay her with ice cream!!! :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Mr. and Mrs. Jackson! It's Caleb and I wanted to let you know that I am praying for you guys! I can't wait to read another post about your time in the Ukraine. It brings back a lot of memories that I wish I could go back to sometimes! I hope that the appointment goes well along with the rest of the processes you'll be going through. I agree with my mom about the McDonalds haha! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Caleb! Thank you for your prayers! You're welcome to come back now and hang with us! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, THREE Reed comments on one blog post? Jackpot! I'm waiting to hear Oliver weigh in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a deal to me would love to be your guys's guide I'm on my way......lol haha jk. Have you guys had your first ice-cream yet or any Ukrainian food? How are you guys liking Ukraine so far? By the way here is a few thought full words from Oliver:
    Ddhuefhufgruigfiwue gaga googoo? by the way sorry the appointment didn't work out....I'll keep praying that the next one will.
    Love you guys
    Rachel(and Oliver!!)

    ReplyDelete